Today, the world is ruled by technology such that without technology it is impossible to sustain and the majority of daily tasks are impossible without technology. The technology today created huge demand for opportunities in the fields of computers. The students today are racing towards building careers in computer science due to the opportunities that are thrown at them from the technology field. The students are choosing computer-related fields as their study domain for their degrees for better career opportunities and better career growth. To build a career in the computer field the students should have a technical degree in computer science.
When we talk about technical degrees the students have two choices in general when it comes to studying computer science. They are:
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering
Bachelor of Computer Science (BCA)
- BCA or Bachelor of Computer Application is the 3-year undergraduate and can be a best alternative degree for BE/B.Tech
- The BCA students will be studying almost all the subjects of BE/B.Tech Computer Science study
- The BCA is the new age course that is chosen by many students as the career growth is better when compared with other courses and has relatively less competition when compared to engineering
- The BCA course has also spread into numerous specializations according to the industrial requirements and the students have the option to choose their required specializations in the BCA programme.
Some of the recent specializations available in the BCA course are:
- BCA UI-UX
- BCA Data Analytics
- BCA Game Software and Mobile application development
- BCA Intelligent Process Automation
- BCA Cloud Computing and Cyber Security
- BCA IoT (internet of things)
- BCA Artificial Intelligence
- BCA Professional
- BCA International
- BCA Cloud Computing
- BCA Cognitive System
- BCA Mobile Application and information Security
- BCA Mobile Application and Cloud Technology
- BCA Cloud Technology and Information Security
B.Tech/BE Computer Science and Engineering
- The B.Tech/BE Computer Science Engineering (CSE) is a 4-years undergraduate course, that is divided into 8 semesters
- The B.Tech Computer Science course aims to give the practical and theoretical knowledge of computer hardware and software
- The B.Tech Computer Science course is the comprehensive study of computer application and system
- The course deals with the designing and developing computer software and hardware processes
- The course imparts detailed understanding of the programming languages, digital and analogue electronics, networking and telecommunication etc
- The course trains the students on various skills and expertise in computer software and hardware areas
The B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering course is divided into different specialisations they are:
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering (Cyber security)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering (IoT)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering (Artificial Intelligence and Machine learning)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering (Block Chain)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering (Data Science)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Engineering (Data Analytics)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering-Cloud Technology and Mobile Application
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering-Cloud Technology and Information Science
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering-Mathematics and Computing
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Engineering-Robotic Process Automation
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Technology
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Technology (DevOps)
- B.Tech /B.E Computer Science and Technology (Big Data)
- The students who have completed their PUC or 10+2 with 50% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Electronics, & Statistics from recognised board are eligible to apply for BCA or B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering courses
- For getting admissions to B.Tech Computer Science the students may be required to appear for entrance exams like KCET, COMED-K, JEE and participate in counselling process for seat allotments processes. This is not in the case of BCA courses, the students can get direct admissions to BCA courses in their desired colleges.
Difference between BCA and B.Tech Courses
The BCA course imparts the detailed knowledge and understanding of Computer Applications
The B.Tech Computer Science course basically trains the students about computer engineering
The BCA students will be studying a detailed knowledge about scripting and coding languages like C, C++, C#, Java, Python, SQL, HTML, PHP etc
The B.Tech computer science engineering students will be trained in both software and hardware of the computers along with the coding languages
The BCA course makes you to adapt at the application level of computers
The B.Tech Computer Science course makes the students proficient at the technical level like software, hardware, applications etc
The BCA course deals with the study of software language and software management quality
The B.Tech course is more about comprehensive and professionally valued course as gives a detailed understanding of more subjects when compared to BCA
The BCA course deals with the theoretical and practical approaches of computer applications
The B.Tech course basically deals with practical approach to the computer science topics
The BCA course mainly stresses more on the application level at both theoretical and practical level when it comes to computer softwares
The B.Tech course generally deals with practical testing and development and not about the application part
BCA Vs B.Tech Computer Science Career Prospects
- In both the cases there are a good number of careers available for students and the BCA students can join as junior developers in the companies for decent salary packages. The B.Tech Computer Science Engineering students can join as software engineers, test engineers, database engineers, solution architects etc
- Although many BCA candidates prefer to join MCA. Further, the competition is less in BCA when compared to B.Tech Computer Science and engineering students, they can join M.Tech programmes soon after the completion of their B.Tech courses.
- The B.Tech students are technically proficient; they can have a wide scope of job opportunities in India and abroad. The career opportunities for B.Tech engineering students are basically based on their skill set rather than theoretical study. While the career opportunities for BCA students is about both theoretical and practical study
Ideally the BCA students will be earning around 3 lakhs to 4 lakhs per annum, while the B.Tech students will be earning around 4 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum.
Why BCA course over B.Tech Computer Science & Engineering Course?
- The BCA course is easier when compared to B.Tech courses, although both of them have their own importance when it comes to career opportunities
- It is always better to join BCA over B.Tech as the competition is fairly less for BCA students when compared to B.Tech students
- Since the majority of students join engineering courses over BCA courses, it has been observed that they had to face stiff competition when finding the job roles with their counterparts. While the BCA students did not face any such competition while finding the job.
- If the students are passionate about their degree, then they can join for engineering courses. While the students who are looking for excellent career growth along with a degree, they can opt for BCA courses.
Both the BCA and B.Tech courses have equal opportunities in the job markets. It only matters what the degree a student will have and is he/she capable and skilled to do the given task when it comes to the hiring processes. The organisations look for only the skill and knowledge of the students over the degree that they have in their pockets.